Knowing your credit score or getting a recent copy of your credit report is one of the first steps that you can take toward knowing how ready you are to start the home buying process.
Make sure all the information listed on your report is accurate and work to correct any mistakes. The higher your credit score, the more likely you will be to receive a better interest rate for your mortgage, which will translate into more ‘home for your money.’
Many potential buyers believe that they need a 750 FICO® Score or higher to be able to purchase a home. The truth is that according to Ellie Mae’s Origination Report, over 53% of loans were approved with a FICO® score under 750 last month!
Here are some tips for improving your credit score:
- Make payments, including rent, credit cards, and car loans, on time.
- Keep your spending to no more than 30% of your limit on credit cards.
- Pay down high-balance credit cards to lower balances, and consider balance transfers to free up credit.
- Check for errors on your credit report and work toward fixing them.
- Shop for mortgage rates within a 30-day period — too many spread-out inquiries can lower your score.
- Work with a credit counselor or a lender to improve your score.
Once you know your score, your next step will be finding a lender and getting pre-approved for a mortgage. Doing this will ensure that you know your budget before you start looking for your dream home
If you are ready to Buy or Sell, Meet with the The Cunningham Team Team @ RE/MAX Realty One, your local real estate professionals who can help you find your dream home.
For more Citrus County, Florida home selling and buying insights, give The Cunningham Team at RE/MAX Realty One a call anytime to discuss your own real estate plans! If you’re considering a move to the CITRUS COUNTY including Crystal River, Inverness, Homosassa, Beverly Hills, Inglis, Hernando, Lecanto, Citrus Springs or Dunnellon, Give us a call.
The Cunningham Team at RE/MAX Realty One “Your Nature Coast Real Estate Experts”
Kevin, Karen and Brogan The Cunningham Team